Friday, August 21, 2009

Career path change

Oh yeah, no substantial updating activities in a while. Substantial updating in this blog is an oxymoron, but you know what I mean.

I am pretty depressed at the moment. Wait, actually I have been for a long time and it’s all because of my job. Oh my forking gourd, yes! I hate it THAT much, if I can’t get a different one that pays slightly less I will die a happy cat...

I have told everyone close to me at home and work, heck, I even told my staff and my boss already so that it won’t come as a surprise to them and also an insurance for me that I won’t chicken out again this time to suffer another great year with them.

I’ve done a lot of thinking, two years worth of thinking in fact on my so called areas of developments. Then I came across this article which echoes my thought that if I can do great with a job that I have no interest and in fact hates, imagine what I can do on a job that I love…

The "fix your weaknesses" school believes that with enough discipline, determination, and training, anyone can do anything. Unfortunately, it confuses weaknesses and limitations. Weaknesses reflect a lack of skill (how to do something) or knowledge (what you know). Weaknesses can be overcome by education, training, experience, and practice. On the other hand, limitations reflect a lack of motivation (what you do well naturally). These really can't be overcome, because new motivations can't be acquired. In fact, if a person has low motivation in a particular area -- spelling, for example -- there is very little likelihood that he or she will ever be a great speller. The best they will be is adequate. Who wants to be adequate?

It's a much better idea to build on your strengths.


This hits home to me because believe it; my area of development has always been being assertive. I can do assertive, but I don’t like being assertive. I feel like a Nazi when I do and I hate doing anything half boiled and pretentious.

I hate being a symbol of authority whatsoever.

It doesn’t help to have anal staff as well, yeah believe it; anal staff instead of an anal boss is as toxic. I am not anal so it is not helping either. It surprises me what makes them tick, because obviously something as stupid as where you put the attendance file is an issue here. Oh get a gun and shoot me will you, people die in bomb blasts all over the world, would they forking care where the attendance file is placed? I don’t think so; they’d be too busy running to save their life, heck! They don’t even know what an attendance file is! So shut it up and just sign the stupid attendance file!

Not to mention the amount of shit to deal with every year. Enough for now I would say. Save me from this insanity of my so called job and let me do something more wholesome that truly makes me happy, instead of an escapism that is my blog.

I’ve done a lot of soul searching at Livecareer.com and while my mind has always been interested towards certain areas, this test just amplifies it. In my opinion it’s pretty legit and the best part is, it is free. There are 100 questions analyzing your interests, your work styles and even gauging the inconsistency just in case you are a fluff and can’t make up your mind on what you like. While I always take light about myself, turns out I am at that age that I have realized what I really like and want to be when I grow up =P

This is my radar graph



My interest graph

The plus points are



And the minus ones



Perhaps psychologically due to the fact I abhor my current job, Administration and Assertive are up there with the least percentile.

Writing
Enjoys either creative or technical writing. Likely to have broad interests.

Industrial Art
Enjoys making or repairing things using machinery, or by hand.

Teaching/Social Service
Enjoys instructing people in learning new things, helping people solve problems, and assisting others.

Administration
Enjoys organizing the financial or day-to-day operations of a business or institution, supervising the activities of others, planning work schedules, and maintaining records.

Assertive
Prefers working situations in which it is appropriate to assert authority over others, and to direct and monitor their work.

If you want to do a soul searching yourself on what you would love to do in life, try the online test.

Warning: since it is free while being a good career test, it wants a lot of your particulars down to your home address and such. But it is worth a trouble for something as good which is free.

And be prepared to have the time to answer 100 questions, don’t rush it.

No comments:

Post a Comment